Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in Los Angeles, I am 75 years old and am renting the

Customer Question

I live in Los Angeles, I am 75 years old and am renting the same apartment for over 20 years, my landlord is raising my rent more than 3% even though
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ca 90045, it should be 3% in Los Angeles, but since the unit is illigally build as I found out, he claims it is not under rent control. it is a one family house, with an illigally build unit over the garage in which i reside. I am trying to get him to only raise it 3% but he does not budge. I know I could report him because of the illigal unit and they would have him evict me and tear out the kitchen and bathroom. At least that is what I heard. but i do not really want to move and I am afraid he can get what he wants and just claim he is moving in or has to fix the place . What are my options?
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: what do you mean?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Post:

JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Ca 90045, it should be 3% in Los Angeles, but since the unit is illigally build as I found out, he claims it is not under rent control. it is a one family house, with an illigally build unit over the garage in which i reside. I am trying to get him to only raise it 3% but he does not budge. I know I could report him because of the illigal unit and they would have him evict me and tear out the kitchen and bathroom. At least that is what I heard. but i do not really want to move and I am afraid he can get what he wants and just claim he is moving in or has to fix the place . What are my options?

Response: Refuse to pay the increase. Then let him give you notice for non-payment and eventually file eviction action against you. You can defend the eviction by showing that he charged you more than the required increase. He would then be forced to say why he charged you more than the required percentage. It would be interesting to see if he is willing to admit that he charged you more than the required percentage because the Unit is an illegal Unit.

You may also bring up the issue of the illegal Unit yourself because he is NOT supposed to be collecting rent for the illegal unit. You can actually file lawsuit against him to get back ALL rent paid for the illegal Unit if you want to play hardball. However, you would have to vacate the premises, unfortunately.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you very much, I already brought up the issue that the unit is illegal, he does not seem to care.
I do want to cancel the trial i started for this service at this tie.
thank you so much.
Regine Legler