Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Are non-refundable pet fees legal to charge in New Mexico.

Customer Question
Are non-refundable pet fees...

Are non-refundable pet fees legal to charge in New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

6-12 months. No maintenance or upkeep

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
4/3/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 3 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

New Mexico doesn't have any specific statute that addresses pet deposits or nonrefundable pet cleaning fees so the presumption is that the NM Legislature wanted to leave that up to the landlord and tenant to negotiate when they are entering into the lease contract.

.

So yes, they would be legal if the tenant agrees to them in the written lease contract.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much