Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a septic tank smell in my house that has been

Customer Question
I have a septic...

I have a septic tank smell in my house that has been reported to my land lord 4 times. He sent maintance out 1 time however whatever they did, did not fix the issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It’s a trailer so in my lease they are the only ones that can work on and fix house issies

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Issues

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

The property is in N.C. We have not contacted a local attorney

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability if the septic tank smell has not gone away. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. The usual measure of damages is either 1) a cancellation of the lease agreement; 2) a withholding of the rent until the item is repaired; or 3) you repair the matter yourself and request reimbursement.

You may want to consider just writing a drafting a notice to the landlord detailing the problems and that you will exercise one of those options if they do not make the necessary repairs to the property. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?