Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?

Customer Question
How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. In what US state? Would this be for a criminal or civil matter?

Hello Zoey my name is ***** ***** I’m actually looking for some information about a home that I rent. I would like some info about the saying “ Grandfathered in” if you would? I’m posting from Massachusetts.

"Grandfathered in" typically means that you are still allowed rights under the old law, even when that law changed later. Just for the sake of an example, if your lease allows for pets and you have them, but somewhere down the road the building changes his policy, new lessees could not have pets but the old ones would be grandfathered in and not have to get rid of their pets.

As for finding a pro bono lawyer, it can be difficult to find a pro bono lawyer for a civil matter because the demand for them is so much greater than the supply. However, there are agencies which at the very least can walk you through what you have to do and advise you, even if they don't have the staff to be able to represent you themselves.

Here are some links to Massachusetts's pro-bono resources.

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/freehelp.cfm?id=MA

Almost all of these agencies are for civil rather than criminal matters, and people in the pro bono loop usually know of still others who can assist you with your issue. So you may have to make a lot of phone calls, but you should be able to get at least some hands-on assistance.

Another good resource available for free or low priced legal assistance is law school clinics where law students research, write and handle actual cases and issues under the supervision of a practicing professor/lawyer. Some of these law school clinics have wonderful reputations, and if a court appearance is called for, the professor goes to court.

Law students are trained legal researchers. They are energetic, idealistic and enjoy putting their efforts into a cause they can believe in. Here's a list of Massachusetts Law schools. The kinds of clinics that they have are noted on the list.

https://www.google.com/search?q=massachusetts+law+school+clinics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Good luck!

Ok I’m sorry I should’ve explain a little better. There must be some kind of a law with all that because I’m living in a house that’s “ Grandfathered in” and it’s all I’m hearing that it is. I mean because it’s GRANDFATHERED IN then it doesn’t mean it has to be insulated and my landlord doesn’t think he has to “fix” anything. He himself wants to come in and so called fix everything himself and he does but he’s back in to fix the very same thing he fixed last week. Also a couple of big trees had fallen down this winter (they were basically dead) and trashed a few cars in the neighbors yard. (I guess insurance never paid) he also had to clean it but I’m sorry he went up on my rent. How does he have the right to go up on my rent when it has absolutely nothing to do with anything that happens. I just don’t know exactly what Grandfathered in actionally means? I really think he is taking this Word and taking it way to far? Do you think you can tell me a little about what it means or maybe you could send me something I can download?

You explained it just fine, and I already told you what the term means. Your landlord is telling you the present law about insulation does not apply to his building because it is an older building that still is regulated under an preexisting law.

Does that mean he is telling you the truth? No. It doesn't have to mean that. But what he's telling you may very well be true, because when new laws are enacted, some people do remain under the old law.

Your initial question only asked about how to find a pro bono lawyer, which was what I answered for you. A local pro bono agency could assist you and tell you what you're entitlted to under your local laws.