Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If a tenant moves out in the middle of a lease do you file…

Customer Question
if a tenant moves out...
if a tenant moves out in the middle of a lease do you file an eviction?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 21 days ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you remind me what state this is in?

.

Did the tenant notify you they were leaving and not coming back?

.

Did they return the keys and move everything out?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
the tenant reported verbally that they are moving
they have not moved yet but plan to be out by end of month... or so they say...
missouri
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
no they still have keys.
and if they do move out. how do i collect remainder of lease payments they for sure will not just give me the payments. Its a fixed term lease, and may take a moment to find a replacement
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
let alone collect on any damages

Have they paid rent this month?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
they paid rent for this month

Ok, then no, an eviction is about possession... so if they move out and surrender possession and return the keys, then an eviction is not appropriate. Then it is just a straight breach of contract action where you would sue them in small claims court for any lost rent until you re-rent if their security deposit doesn't cover it.

.

But you have a legal duty to mitigate your damages by trying to re-rent as soon as possible. When you do re-rent, that stops your damages and determines how much the tenant owes you.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
to sue in small claims court, how do you file? is it the same way you file an eviction?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
a specific name for it.... such as unlawful detainer....

Yes, just different clerk... they have the small claims summons and complaint.. and it is just a simple breach of contract claim... the lease is a contract..they are breaking it by moving out early..

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
once they move out, i would assume i need to take pictures of damage immediately. take photos of advertisement, copies of receipts for damages. Any other proof i need to make a solid case? I have photos of the entire property from before they were there, and from the day i got punched. I typically take pictures for safe keeping, often, to easily compare normal wear vs...
Dont want anyone saying that i caused or neglected property or enough evidence.
Would damages be a separate suit... or all rolled into one.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
i would bet money that they try to skate out without giving keys back. Im researching now, as i have eyes and ears everywhere, to make sure i keep tabs on where there moving to make sure i can serve them.

Photos and estimates/invoices for repairs are your best evidence...along with your testimony of course..

.

You should always take pictures before a tenancy starts so you have proof of condition to compare to the end.

.

And it would all be one lawsuit..

.

And yes, if they work, you can always catch them there if they try to bolt..

.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
im certain ill have more questions tommorrow. can i leave this conversation open?

Sure, but you can still respond and I will see it and reply even after rating my service..

.

.

thanks

Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 17 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney