Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a tenant in an apartment building in Oakland, CA. I…

Customer Question
I am a tenant...

I am a tenant in an apartment building in Oakland, CA. I have lived in this building for 25 years. Last week, my apartment manager said that he is scheduled to go overseas for 3 weeks in April. He asked if I would take over some of the managerial duties while he is gone. These include:Helping other tenants who may have locked themselves out of their apartment.
Answering tenants' request for repairs by calling and hiring repairmen.
If elevator stops working, put up signs and call the elevator company.I agreed to help but now I am wondering if I should get some kind of written agreement from the landlord to specify what my responsibilities are. And to protect myself against any liabilities.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oakland, California.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I have not looked at it recently. But I do not remember anything that stands out. I can go get it now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do have some financial assets. So I am concerned about liability issues.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Is the manager going to be providing any discounts for you doing this work?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He wants to pay me $200. Plus additional fees depending on how may incidents occur.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He plans to be gone for 3 weeks starting 4/8.

I see. I think that it would be wise to get something in writing that outlines the scope of your duties and also the limits of your liability. Because this person is the owner, anything you do will be as their agent. It's similar to any other property manager arrangement where your liability is going to be limited to any intentional actions you create. For example, if you kick someone's dog, then you'll be liable, not the landlord; however, if there is something wrong with the pipes, then you aren't going to be liable at all.

Regardless, my recommendation is to get something in writing that spells out how long this is going to be, the responsibilities you will have, an acknowledgment of when you will be paid, how much you'll be paid, when it's supposed to end, and also a waiver of liability to things related to the land to protect you.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He is not the owner. This is also why I am concerned. I feel that I need to have communication with the landlord.

I see. So, what I would do if the manager is not the owner is contact the owner to find out whether the manager has the authority to do this. It is possible they are 100% fine with it; however, you don't want to get involved in something that would be hard to get out of if the landlord didn't approve.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer