Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I moved into a house last month ..renting a room upstairs. I…

Customer Question
I moved into a...

I moved into a house last month ..renting a room upstairs. I nevrr signed any lease..i di m pay my rent..shechad me pay weekly..each time the rent changed. She got angry last time because i psid her 170 or the now 205 a week rent. Sje told me i couldn't return. I hsve been staying at my hotel i work at. I need to get my belongings. She said she threw them oitside.she used to work here in laundry. She has become very vindictive.this morning she had a coworker show my boss supposedly linens i took from here. So shes trying to get me fired. I need to know my rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Il have never signed a lease

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

It is illegal for your landlord to change the rent without proper notice or to evict you without legal process. It is also illegal for the landlord to hold your property and not allow you to take possession.

You can sue the landlord for the illegal eviction and the misappropriation of your property.

If the claim does not exceed $7500, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online with me?