Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can a tenant be forced to sign a nondisclosure in order to…

Customer Question
Can a tenant be...

Can a tenant be forced to sign a nondisclosure in order to get landlord to accept rent money

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes started with a roach infestation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

The answer to your question is no, a tenant cannot be forced to sign a non-disclosure to get the tenant to accept rent money. If a party refuses to accept severance from the other party (the tenant), then the other party (the tenant) can cut off their obligation to make payment until the landlord is ready to accept. By adding additional terms, the landlord is in breach of contract.

A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?