Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a single mother with 2 children ( one has special

I am a single...

I am a single mother with 2 children ( one has special needs, DownSyndrome) living in an apartment complex in Central Florida that apparently has had mold issues existing since before I moved in, as I have recently experienced personally twice now and had corroborated by another tenant who has been here more than a year before me. My special needs child has been sick with respiratory issues for the past week and yesterday I discovered mold again growing in every room of the apartment. I cannot stay in this residence as my children and my health are at risk and I have not been able to contact the managment company's agent here on the premesis. I took pictures of all the damaged items in my apartment and removed them and bought a dehumidifier and bleach products to clean the apartment, which I spent the whole day doing.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Dont have the lease with me at the moment, however, I have upheld my part as far as the advice I was given by the management agent when I fist experienced this problem in December. This is now my second incident and now it is clear to me that it is not an isolated incident within the apartment complex. I cannot stay in the residence with the situation for fear of more complicated health issues for me and my family and I need advice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

More details can be given if asked

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

I no longer feel safe living in this apartment and have left the premises. I am bringing my child who has special needs to the doctors office today because He has been sick for over a week now and I suspect the mold in my apartment is directly responsible for his illness. I now know that this mold issue has existed way before I signed my rental lease in Oct 2017 by speaking to other tenants who have had the same issue as me previously without any resolution to correct the problem. The property manager, Diana, whom I dealt with on my first instance in December 2017 when I reported that I had soaking condensation on all of my windows, told me there was nothing she could do about it. Then in January, when I found the mold growing all over the apartment and reported this to her, she response was to put the air conditioner on and set it at 72 -74 degrees and leave it on all day. At this point in time, we were having cold temperatures in Florida and we were using the heat to keep warm. I cleaned all the mold that I could see with bleach and mold cleaning products in the apartment and switched to air conditioning as directed even though my children and I were cold. Did not see any mold again until this past weekend, however, the apartment always had a slight odor of mustiness and dampness since January. I was not able to get in contact with the property manager, as she was not on the premises over the weekend when I discovered this current mold situation, but I feel that they have been deceptive from the first issue with me and with other tenants in the complex and no longer want to live here going forward. I want to know my legal rights are to terminate this lease agreement before I contact the property manager today to speak about the mold situation.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

You have rights to terminate the lease under the circumstances for Landlord's refusal and failure to properly address the mold issue. Once reported, the Landlord/property manager should have brought in professionals certified in mold remediation to evaluate the issue and fix it. It was very dangerous for you to be cleaning the mold yourself. Also, the manager was very callous and nonchalant about you and your family's health and safety by doing nothing about the mold and only taking you to adjust your thermostat. That was cold. You should report the management to your Attorney General's Office and Prosecutor's (DA) office for possible prosecution.

You are also entitled to compensation for any health issues you and your family have suffered because of this issue.

You may seek the assistance of Florida Attorneys who handle personal injury and premise liability /Landlord and Tenant issues to assist you with the case. You can Google the Attorneys.

Finally, you are entitled to the return of your Security Deposit. See Florida Landlord Tenant Law, Florida Statutes Chapter 83 for more information.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law