Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I entered into a verbal agreement to purchase a trailer for…

Customer Question
I entered into a...

I entered into a verbal agreement to purchase a trailer for $10,000 making payments at $300 per month the individual in which I purchased the trailer from change the terms of our verbal agreement and now being that their situation has changed they want to obtain the trailer back and they want me to move. The individual in question has threatened to come and change the locks on April 23rd because I verbally told them that I was moving. Is there any kind of recourse that I do have regarding the situation I am looking for a attorney to assist me with this situation. The individual in question also comes by the trailer three to four times a week putting things in the storage unit and back in which I've had no access to I paid her the $300 as prescribed monthly I've also paid the lot before the trailer monthly starting June 2017 I've also been question in reference to the taxes on the trailer I'm not sure what kind of recourse I have or what I can do but I do need to obtain an attorney in order to fight the situation

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

The property is located in Clarksville Tennessee and I have not contacted an attorney as of yet neither has she

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

When the agreement was made verbally that I was to purchase the trailer I was to make all repairs needed on the trailer however because she changed the terms and made herself landlord opposed to mortgage person she has not made any of the repairs being that she wants to be the landlord opposed to my mortgage person so the upkeep has not been done neither has repairs I have a hole in the floor in the kitchen one of the walls does not have drywall the exterior wall to that particular wall is not there the only thing holding it is the siding

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person in question has returned 3 months of my mortgage back to me in money orders which I still do have I'm not sure how to proceed at this point

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 23 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review your post and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You need to file lawsuit against her at your local Courthouse to stop her from taking the trailer since you have paid for almost 12 months for the trailer pursuant to your agreement.

You can obtain complaint forms--civil forms to start a lawsuit in the Clerk's office or online if the Court makes forms available online.

Also, it is interesting that he is only returning three months of your payments. What happened to other payments you made? If she wants to renege on the agreement, then he must return all the money you paid for the purchase. He cannot kick you out, but at the same time retain your payments.

You should have copies of these payments handy in case he comes to change the lock. You would need to call the Police to prevent him from doing that and show the Police your payments.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Would this also hold the same as a rental, wouldn't they have to also file with the courts to be able to change locks and/or put me out. Or can they start removing my items?

Would this also hold the same as a rental, wouldn't they have to also file with the courts to be able to change locks and/or put me out.

Response 1: She would need court approval. However, in the meantime, she can attempt to change the locks illegally. That's why I suggested that you contact the Police if she tries this.

Or can they start removing my items?

Response 2: No, they cannot without a Court Order. That would be an illegal lockout, which you can file emergency Motion with the Court to stop.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law