Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

How are you? this is a question about my security deposit…

Customer Question
Hi how are you...

Hi how are you? this is a question about my security deposit from my old landlord

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

I moved out February 28 and landlord sent a text to me on March 27th saying he deposited a check in to my account totalling $1030. Yesterday March 30,2018 my bank sent me an alert stating the check bounced for insufficient funds. I contacted my ex landlord and I informed him the check bounced and he has yet to reply and my account is overdrawn what steps can I take as an ex tenant who is still having issues with ex landlord?

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes $95 was taken out for paint in the kitchen our deposit was originally $1125, he informed me on 3/20/2018 he would be taking out for the paint job I sated that was fine. Now the checked bounced. Lease states 30 days from move out date

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Also due to the check bouncing, my automatic payments monthly were not able to process the payment due to check bouncing. Now my account is super overdrawn and I dont know what exactly to do to get my money back. This is so stressful and it is really breaking me down, knowing my current rent is due tomorrow and my account is negative -$1150 or more plus fees.
3/31/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. A demand to him needs to be made, whereby he repay not only what he owes you but any fees which were incurred, as a result of this. Not only can a civil lawsuit be filed against him to recover this BUT if you make the proper demand and he fails to pay, he could face criminal charges and be prosecuted by the State, for issuing the worthless check.

Thank you so much so how would I start this process. I sent a text message yesterday saying: Hi today is March 30th, I am texting you to inform you the check did not clear, I also have a charge of $75 as of today 3/30/2018 due to you depositing a bounced check.
His Reply: That is impossible unless someone bounced a check on me. i'll look into this and i'll make sure with your bank td, you were hit with charges as we are stating. You'll be refunded what was charged to you.What steps can we take it is passed 30 days?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

What State are you in?

New Jersey

Thank you. Please allow me a moment

The residency was located in Bayonne NJ 07002

I have provided two links below, for both the civil and criminal actions and the demand and time you need to give them, once it is made, before proceeding. You can share this with him and let him know if this is not corrected, you will proceed and to save him time, show him proof that the funds did not clear.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2a/2a-32a/2a-32a-1

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-21-5/