Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlady sent memo for cash demand for rent instead of

Customer Question
checks. we receive a slight...
landlady sent memo for cash demand for rent instead of checks. we receive a slight assistance from hopwa for patients with aids
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, lawyer replied 20 days ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, lawyer
Hello!! Your lease controls the rules. If your lease says rent can be paid in other ways, then landlord can’t demand cash. Also it matters where you live. For instance, As long as your rent is current, California law prohibits your landlord from requiring the rent to be paid in cash.
check your lease to see what it says about methods of payment. If the lease is Silent on the issue, tell me your state and I will see if a state law exists like the one in California.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Lease is silent! I live in new mexico usa
Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, lawyer replied 19 days ago
https://www.centerfornonprofitexcellence.org/civieventshared/This is the landlord tenant hotline for your state. Demands for cash payment are not prohibited in your state. However, if the cash demand is causing you a hardship, you should call the hotline to get a representative to argue that fact on your behalf.
If the landlord won’t accept the checks from hopwa then you Could most likely make a claim that the landlord has breached the lease terms because the landlord initially excepted the check and then change their mind without proper notice. The lease probably has a provision that says no change in the terms can be made without proper notice
Be sure to call that hotline so that you can get local assistance on this matter. If I have provided you with adequate guidance on this subject, please reword me with a positive rating so that I may receive credit for this session.
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, lawyer