Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I just got home and received a notice of non-renewal of

Customer Question
My name is***** just got...
My name is***** just got home and received a notice of non-renewal of lease property manager states that because I have not renewed my lease that she will not renew it anymore she will not no option for month-to-month tenancy is offered at this time she's stating that I have to to leave premises by April the 30th stating the reasons why because of non-renewal of lease stating that this is a business decision so I need to know if I have any rights and I am not behind on my rent
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/31/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 26 days ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I'm very sorry to hear that. There's no law that says a landlord must or shall renew a tenant's lease. Indeed, at the end of a lease, a landlord is within their rights to choose to not renew. So long as they are not refusing to renew your lease due to an unlawful reason (e.g., because of your race, religion or national origin), this is regrettably legal. 30 days notice to vacate is standard, but you may also wish to review your lease to see if it provides for a longer notice period. If you don't vacate by April 30th, what will happen then is that the landlord would have to file a lawsuit to have you evicted.

Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 25 days ago

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney