Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can a landlord ask you to leave apartment based on

Customer Question
Can a landlord ask...

Can a landlord ask you to leave apartment based on suspension of marijuana use?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

OH

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues with that and they dont have any proof other than an smell

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/30/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 20 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears that this eviction may be unlawful. Generally, a landlord must follow procedural requirements when issuing an eviction notice. This means a tenant must receive written notice of the eviction before it is effective. In addition, a landlord’s eviction is unlawful generally if they violated the implied warranty of habitability; the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment; if the landlord has locked the tenant out; if the landlord has failed to uphold promises made in the agreement; or if the tenant has cured a problem such as past due rent. Plus, landlords cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation either under the Fair Housing Act. In your case, the suspicion of marijuana use is not enough to elicit a valid eviction and without proof, the eviction is invalid.

The main thing to remember is that there exist various reason why a landlord’s eviction notice may not be effective. Because landlords are people, they are sometimes not thinking their way through the situation and that gives you an opportunity to help them understand their legal position. What I recommend is sending them a letter detailing the reasons why the eviction notice is unlawful. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a letter that puts the landlord on notice that their eviction notice is unlawful (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

There is one upside to this situation though. the law generally prohibits landlords from physically removing tenants from the property or forcing tenants off the property by shutting off their lights, water, gas, or changing the locks. These are called “self-help” evictions and if a landlord engages in them, the landlord could be liable to the tenant for money damages.

If there is a tenant who has been evicted with proper written notice (e.g. 3-day or 30-day notice), but they do not leave the property, then they are considered a holdover tenant. The landlord of a holdover tenant must go through certain procedures before a tenant can be physically removed from the property. What this means is that the landlord must go to the courts in the county where the property is to get the court’s permission to have the person removed from the property.

The process for this can take months and you even have a chance to raise defenses to their eviction as well.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
There was a 3 day notice so according to your response that is lawful?

No, I'm sorry. If they have no proof that you were using or are possessing marijuana, then it is not legal.

Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 13 days ago

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer