Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My lease states the following: The term of the lease shall…

Customer Question
My lease states the following: The...
My lease states the following:
The term of the lease shall be 1year commencing on 1st day of Aug 2014 until the 31st August 2015.This lease shall automatically self-extend under the same terms and conditions as the initial lease and shall continue in full force and effect from month-to-month unless and until otherwise terminated.Does the portion of my lease that states month to month mean that the lease changes to a month to month after the first year?My landlord wants to put me out so her son can move in before my lease is up. We had a verbal agreement that I would buy the house for my daughter which I have with her son, my X.I thought I was in the clear until I read my lease again. Please advise.What is my lease saying?Thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 3 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

Your thinking is correct. The provisions of the written lease continue in full force and effect, but unless terminated (by either party) the lease converted to a month to month lease after the written lease ended in August 2015.

That doesn't mean they can put you out without any notice. You're still entitled to proper notice by the landlord and then if you don't leave, they would have to sue to evict you.

Omg! How much time do they legally have to give me?

Depends on what state this is in, but typically, on a month to month lease, 30 days notice.

WOW! Ok I am in PA. This is AWFUL.Does the termination have to be in writing?
Does it need to be certified so its not backdated?

Pennsylvania state law does not specify how much notice landlords or tenants must provide to end a month-to-month rental agreement, but 30 days is typical. Your rental agreement might actually have language in it that says how much notice should be given, but if not, as I said, 30 days is the norm.

There are no guidelines in Pennsylvania that it has to be in writing, but most landlords will do so, just so that there is a record of it. They can simply post it to your door or hand-deliver it though. They don't have to mail it.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.