Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived in Oakland Ca and rented a home for 10 years.

Customer Question
Hello! I have lived...

Hello! I have lived in Oakland Ca and rented a home for 10 years. My landlord is selling the house and told me that all further communications will be dealt with relator. The relator wants an open house and when I said no he replied with " I don't care what you want, it's either you do it or I seek eviction and I can because I have power of attorney." Can they really kick me out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

California and all I have is the lease paper

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Its month to month however we have never come and updated lease month to month

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh! I was under impression he would pay for garbage and once the bill was high $1300 he told me I had to pay it.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Okay! Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
I also read Oakland laws and it states: ​​Oakland is a “Just Cause for Eviction” city. This means that landlords cannot evict a tenant in good standing unless the owner can prove a violation of one of the eleven (11) “just causes” spelled out in the City’s eviction protection law (O.M.C. 8.22.300). Most Oakland tenants are covered by the “Just Cause for Eviction Ordinance” (also known as Measure EE, which was passed by voters in 2002, and was further strengthened by Measure JJ in 2016. This means you CANNOT be evicted because a new owner bought the building, or the bank foreclosed on the property, or the owner wants to charge more rent, or for any reason not specified in the law.
I don't know what to do, I feel helpless.
3/30/2018
Lawyer: MCSmith,
 replied 4 months ago
MCSmith

You have a duty to conduct yourself in a reasonable manner, which includes allowing the realtor to show the property upon reasonable notice during business hours. Normally, you are entitled to at least 24 hours notice. If you block the landlord's efforts to sell the property, you may wind up in court.