Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I let a friend stay with me as she was living with her

Customer Question
I let a friend...

I let a friend stay with me as she was living with her boyfriend and it was volatile. She doesn't pay rent. She buys food sometimes and has paid 2 utility bills in the 6-8 months she's been here. Our friendship has become volatile. She hit me recently. I also believe she's in violation of her parole as she has alcohol regularly. She already spent one night in jail for violating parole, but only because we checked on a neighbor who had a domestic violence issue and the police were called. She's not to be around anyone involved with the police. The other night when she hit me, she called the police on me for being "erratic." I actually left my own home to diffuse the situation. How can I get her out?

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

How do I ensure I don't violate any Illinois laws? Can I put locks on doors for rooms that she doesn't use e.g. my daughter's bedroom, my storage room, my bedroom. No SHE was convicted and has two criminal felony charges. DUI and one DUI when she crashed into a building and then allegedly got in a physical fight with a woman.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this yet?

I can't find one locally. I called Lawyers Find but the person they gave me is retiring and not taking any more cases.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of in the moment. Except it's possible she's been using my debit card but in working with the bank, it's not been confirmed.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/29/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 3 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did you file a formal police report when she hit you?

.

Have you given her any type of written notice to vacate?

.

Is there any agreement for her to pay rent?

.

Have you contacted her PO about her violating probation?

.

.

thanks

I never asked her to pay rent because she's in collections and I thought I was just helping out a friend. I didn't file a police report because I was hoping she would just leave. Neither of us were arrested.No written notice yet as I wanted to ensure it was compliant with IL laws and didn't want it to come to this. Yes, I just left her PO a message that he needs to come out to visit.
Can I legally ask her to have all her things in my guest bedroom and l put locks on doors she doesn't need access to? She has access to the kitchen and my guest bathroom, of course.
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. I am a new expert at JustAnswer. Give me a moment to review your information and question.

Do you want to just limit her access or do you want her to vacate?

Because of her volatile and abusive behavior, you have the right to give her a 24 notice to vacate the premises. Since she is not a paying tenant with a lease to use certain space, you are entitled to lock off areas to protect yourself and your daughter. I recommend a police report as to the abusive behavior as the report will be helpful in your eviction action if she does not leave (however, that is your call as you see fit in the situation).

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.