Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Judgement in South Carolina for co-signature of lease

Customer Question
Judgement in South Carolina...

Judgement in South Carolina for co-signature of lease agreement pending judgement for outstanding debt of approximately $4,400. What assets of mine are vulnerable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a SC lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None. No formal judgement issued against me yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Under SC state law, if a judgment is entered against you in court from a debtor, there are several ways that debt can be collected.

That includes:

• garnishing wages
  • levying bank accounts
  • placing a lien against other property or assets

Fortunately there are some exemptions under state law, those include:

• "$50,000 for a home in which the judgment-debtor resides, or up to $100,000 if the home is a jointly owned residence.
  • $5,000 in one motor vehicle.
  • $4,000 in household furnishings, household goods, wearing apparel, appliances, books, animals, crops, or musical instruments, that are held primarily for personal, family, or household use of the judgment-debtor.
  • $1,000 in jewelry held primarily for personal, family, or household use of the debtor or dependant of the debtor.
  • $1,500 interest in implements, professional books, or tools of the trade for the debtor or the trade of a dependent of the debtor.
  • $5,000 in value of an unused exemption amount to which the debtor is entitled.
  • Any unmatured life insurance contract owned by the debtor, other than credit life insurance contract.
  • Professionally prescribed health aids for Debtor or dependent of the debtor.
  • Social security benefit, unemployment compensation, local public transit benefit.
  • Veteran’s benefits.
  • Disability benefit.
  • Alimony, support, or separate maintenance.
  • Payment under a stock bonus, pension, profit sharing, annuity, or similar plan or contract on account of illness disability, death, age, or length of service.
  • An award under a crime victim’s compensation reparation law."

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

See:

S.C. Code § 15-41-30

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t15c041.php