Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I was subleasing a room in an apartment. My roommate moved…

Customer Question
I was subleasing a...

I was subleasing a room in an apartment. My roommate moved out and won't return my security deposit, saying she gave it to the landlord and he is entitled to keep it because after she moved out I stayed in the apartment for a month and only paid my share of the rent. Do I have any legal recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes,
A security deposit of $1300 shall be paid by subtenant to tenant. Upon expiration of this agreement, tenant will examine the condition of the premises. Any damage to the premises (beyond normal wear and tear) caused by subtenant, or nonpayment of rent, or utilities or outstanding late payment fees, will be deducted from the amount of the security deposit to be returned to the subtenant within two weeks of the expiration of this agreement.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Okay. First of all, let me ask a few things, please:

1) Did you and your roommate have a written agreement for the sublease?

2) Was your roommate subleasing from you, or, were you subleasing from your roommate?

1) Yes2) I was subleasing from my roommate, who was the tenant on the apartment lease.

Thank you. Your former roommate/sub-landlord is incorrect.

When you sub-lease, there is a landlord/tenant relationship between him and you.

You paid him a deposit.

Once your sub-lease is over, he pays it back to you minus damages/unpaid rent.

The fact that he moved out before your sub-lease was up is NOT your issue; he should have given the amount back to you.

At this point, I would consider pursing a small claims court case against him, and let the Judge decide.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"