Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We recently signed a nine month lease with a new tenant, G.

Customer Question
We recently signed a...

We recently signed a nine month lease with a new tenant, G. She is the girlfriend of one the the guys that live in the house.. E a girlfriend of a guy who is remaining moved out. There was some room re-arrangements and now the "new couple" is in the "old couples" room. The "old couple broke up with woman moving out. She took the master bedroom of the girlfiroom another guys girlfriend moved out of. So the original couple, "Roy and Dale" who had the master bedroom and other room, the woman. "Dale" moved out and the "Roy" stayed. He gave up the Masterbed room and the other room to the new couple and the new girl, "Jill" moved another tenant

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sorry sent before could make corrections, this is california There is now strife with "new couple" and old boyfriend.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It is a bedroom house, 2 bath. 1 on the baths in the master bedroom.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not sure if it as a fixed tenancy or a periodic tenancy. The lease converts to a month to month after the initial time frame has been completed with 30+ days notice.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 3 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I have reviewed the information you have provided. What is your question?

Since we had signed a year lease with one of the tenants we feel we may need to give notice to before the lease expires and another tenant who recently moved in but their lease expires on the the same date, September 30th. What type of notice should we give. while looking online I am not sure if we are a fixed time lease or periodic lease. The lease converts to a month to month after the time lease time period is completed. We have been doing yearly leases usually after the year term expires.
1. I am thinking we are a period lease?
2 there is strife with the tenants, and we would like to give notice to 2 of the tenants before fairly soon. Can we? How should we do it?
Thank you,
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 3 months ago

Thank you for providing that information.

Answer: A fixed term lease is a lease for a specific term (such as a one-year lease) and periodic lease is a month-to-month lease. From the information you have provided, you have a fixed term lease. Under a fixed term lease, you can only give notice that the lease will not renew or convert to a period lease at the end of the term. There is no specific form to the notice, it just needs to inform the tenant of the non-renewal, the move-out date and any other information you want to convey.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.