Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can I get my money back if I have receipts for the security…

Customer Question
Can I get my money...
Can I get my money back if I have receipts for the security deposit and first month, but no lease agreement?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
If you do not owe rent or caused any property damage, yes.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
It's not efficient b/c my concern is a bit more detailed than that. Did you receive the details I added beneath the question?
No please include them.
what more can I answer for you?
Alright so, I gave my security deposit and signed a lease agreement that the wife claimed was a rough copy. She said that she'd gotten it off of a lawyer site, customized it a bit, but that she'd have a more finalized version later on. I didn't take a picture or get a copy b/c she said we'd sign an official one later. My mistake.We agreed that if I gave 1st month's rent early, I could move in sooner, so I did that a few days later, moved some of my boxes in. However, the day before I gave 1st month's rent, they reposted the ad "for rent or rent to own" on the house (they're trying to sell it, ideally). Now they won't give me my money back or give me the lease. Her husband said he'd have it to me today or tomorrow, that an attorney is finalizing it, but I don't trust him. I'd prefer to just get my money back and be free from them both, but since I signed paperwork, am I stuck?
What you signed bonds you as a general rule but if you sue for it it may lead to resolution and release.