Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

How can a landlord collect garnishment of wages for rent and…

Customer Question
How can a landlord collect...
How can a landlord collect garnishment of wages for rent and costs unpaid?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Using court-issued money judgments, landlords often will seek to garnish a former tenant's wages and other assets to get the money they're owed. A money judgment normally allows a landlord to collect against all non-exempt assets of the former tenant who owes money. Additionally, community property states, such as California, allow landlords to collect against the non-exempt assets of a former tenant's spouse, if necessary. Using sheriff-issued levies of execution, landlords owed money by former tenants can seek it from the tenant's bank accounts, too.

Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago

Garnishment by landlords or other creditors is limited to 25 percent of a debtor's disposable income. Additionally, landlords can't garnish exempt assets of former tenants, including Social Security and most pension and retirement benefits. Depending on the state, the personal property of former tenants being garnished is also exempt up to certain variable dollar amounts. Low-income people being garnished must be left with weekly wages equal to 30 times the 2017 federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.

Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 3 months ago

Was this information helpful?