Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Today I went to the apartment complex to pick up my mail,

Hello, so today I went...
Hello, so today I went to the apartment complex to pick up my mail, the refund. The people at the front desk said that if we are no longer residents then they will send it back tot the sender. But I am not sure if we are still on the lease or not because of the refund. If we still have a lease doesn’t that mean we are still residents? And if they did receive the mail don’t they have the right to distribute it to us if we asked for it and not send it back to the sender since we came in?
3/27/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello again,

.

I wondered if it would be easy or hard... and apparently they have decided to make it hard so they can hang on to your money as long as possible.

.

If we still have a lease doesn’t that mean we are still residents?

.

No, they released you and likely have already rented your apt to someone else..

.

And if they did receive the mail don’t they have the right to distribute it to us if we asked for it and not send it back to the sender since we came in?

.

Yes.

.

They are giving you the run around to be difficult. So if it were me. I would tell them that if I didn't have my refund by Sunday, on Monday morning, bright and early, you are filing suit for breach of contract and fraud against them in court for $5,000 and they can then go pay an attorney $1500 to defend the case since they think they are so clever in playing "hide the check".

.

.

thanks

Ok, thank you. Or could I just call the corporation that signed the check and give them my current address if they sent it back? And shouldn’t I call the corporation in charge anyways and ask them did they receive the mail back?

You can contact them, but I would be irritated at this point and tell them that if you don't get it this week, you are filing suit next week, just like I said above..

,

They will put someone in charge of getting you your check because they won't want to be dragged into court to pay an attorney and lose over something like this where they are clearly at fault..

Ok but do you think I should call the corporation and ask them was the check mailed back to them to see if the apartment complex are telling the truth?

Sure, can't hurt..

if we find out that it was never sent back to them then we should sue immeditaly?

I would still contact the complex and tell them exactly what I said.... I really can't say it any simpler... if they don't get you your check by Sunday, Monday morning you are filing suit for fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of contract for $5,000.

Ok, I will absolutely do that. Thank you

Glad to help when I can...

.

Please take a moment to rate my service in this thread and the other one as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.

.

.

Have a great afternoon!

Rate in the reply box?

No, there should be some type of rating scale with Stars or Smiley faces or numbers... something you click on to rate my service in the question threads..

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Ok I see it

Thanks much..