Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is it legal for the landlord to do the pest control them…

Is it legal for...

Is it legal for the landlord to do the pest control them selves?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Tn

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

'll responsible for pc.

3/27/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Ok. More info: the Land Lord is not certified to apply pesticides by TDA.

I'm going to opt out of this question, as it seems to have gotten a little more complicated than I initially thought.

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello , different expert here...

.'

I do not see any requirement under the "The Tennessee Application of Pesticides Act" (TAPA), the "Tennessee Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act" (TIFRA) or the "Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act" (FIFRA) that states that a landlord has to have a permit or certification to apply pesticides to their own property.

.

TAPA requires that a company providing or offering for sale any custom pesticide application must have a pest control charter. A charter is a type of permit issued by the department to a business, and is required for each individual location.

.

So if someone is doing it commercially for a profit, they have to be licensed. But if a landlord is treating their own property, much like a homeowner treating their own property, they don't have to be licensed or certified..

.

With that said, I would opine that yes, it is legal for the landlord to treat their own properties. However, with that said, if they treat improperly or cause injuries due to improper treatment methods, then they can be held liable for any damages.

.

.

thanks

Wouldn't the Land Lord treating a for profit business not be a commercial pesticide application and require that charter because they are not the resident?

No, if the landlord owns the property, it is their private property. They aren't making money treating some other owner's property, they are treating their own.. If A owns property as a landlord and then goes over to B to treat their land, that is for profit if they are charging and they have to be licensed.

.

But treating your own property is allowed....whether you own one or a hundred...

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Thank you