Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Pest infestation? The landlord just tells us that we need to…

Customer Question
Pest infestation? The landlord just...
Pest infestation? The landlord just tells us that we need to clean. I just had a baby and my apartment is spotless.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

What state are you located in?

Wv
Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Thank you for providing that information. Please give me a moment to respond.

Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 4 months ago

Answer: West Virginia law provides that if a landlord neglects to take care of important property repairs, the tenant may have the right to withhold rent until the property is fixed. However, the tenant must follow the law before withholding. See Virginia Code Ann. §§ 54-248.25, 54-248.25.1 and 54-248-27.

You can click here to view the Tenant Handbook. This handbook includes legal aid by county. You should consult your local county legal aid to ensure you follow the proper procedures for your county to withhold rent.

The important thing is that this is 100% the landlord's responsibility and needs to be taken care of quickly.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.