Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I got an notice from landlord to vacate unit. (There's to be…

Customer Question
I got an notice...

I got an notice from landlord to vacate unit. (There's to be a rent increase which I can't afford and well as renovations to unit that require my absence which is no problem). The problem is when I moved in, I had a sofa that was too big to come thru the front door of house. It remained outside a day or two after I moved in. Then, to my landlord's credit and of their own volition, they got the sofa into the house by taking a window out. Now that I'm being asked to move, I asked landlord when will they be able to now move sofa out of house through window. They don't want to. In the interim, the landlord did get a bigger front door (to the house). He thought that with the change, sofa could now be moved through the doorway. We attempted, but the space is too narrow to even get it out of the unit, let alone through the house' front door. I want to know what can or should I do? Thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, my last day is this weekend and I'm hoping that there's a change of mind.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Customer:***** Apt 2 in Mattapan, MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That I just want to leave as peacefully as if possible. I would rather this end amicably.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney
Hello. Let me see if I can assist.
Give me a moment to review and type my reply.
I recommend a letter or email to the landlord stating that you have agreed to move out and that you wish to take all of your belongings with you, including your sofa. Remind the landlord that you have tried to remove the sofa from the premises but that it will not fit through the doorway. Request the landlord to remove the door frame or the window so that you can move the sofa out. Remind the landlord that you do want want to damage the premises in removing your belongings. If you do not hear back from the landlord, you will be forced to remove the window yourself so that you can comply with their notice to vacate.
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.