Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Back in October we gave notice and vacated our rent home.

Back in October we...

Back in October we gave notice and vacated our rent home. During the last month, we agreed to let them show the house as we were trying to move out. We work from home and had to decline 2 showings in that time. Those were the only 2 we declined. Because of this the landlord kept our deposit. we also paid to have the house cleaned, and they deducted 300.00 for carpet cleaning (which the house is mostly hardwood)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas Houston area

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We never called them for anything. we fixed things on our own, and never were late in 2 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is really it....they kept the deposit because we had to decline 2 for showings they wanted in 2 hours

3/27/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning and I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The landlord can not deduct and charge for the cost of cleaning or repairs, that were a result of normal wear and tear. The only damage caused or repairs needed, as a result of your actions during the tenancy, can be deducted from the deposit. Moreover, the issue with the showings has NOTHING to do with your deposit and they can not just deduct an amount from it, as a result of you not being able to allow the property to be shown, on those two occasions. If the landlord has failed to either provide you with the security deposit or an itemized list of deductions within thirty days from moving out, the law may allow you to collect $100, three times the amount of the security deposit wrongly withheld, court costs, and attorney's fees. If the landlord improperly made deductions from the deposit you also have the opportunity to obtain the same damages and penalties. Section 92.109, Property Code.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you! Do you suggest we hire a lawyer for this?

Yes, it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel and if you prevail, should be able to recover your attorney fees from them. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LandlordTenantAnswer
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I will rate you 5 - thank you!

My pleasure and you are welcome

LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney