Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a roommate and i am the legal owner of said real

Customer Question
I have a roommate...

I have a roommate and i am the legal owner of said real estate. My roommate ex stopped by to see him with a friend. The friend said he just needed to stay over night and would be gone the next morning. The next morning he said he now has a right to live here. In minnesota there is a law stating if some stays over night they now have a right to live where they spent and i now have to file an eviction notice to get him out. He also has a dog and now has decided that the walk in closet is going to be his bedroom. He is using a queen size futon which is mine as a bed. He goes into both my roommates and my bedrooms and just take our cloths and he takes the dog out front yard and never picks up the dog poop. He called the police because i wouldnt let him back inside to be told i had to let him back inside.Can he live in a closet and just take anyone cloths or use anything with out our consent? How do i get rid of him and the dog. I already have 2 cats and 2 dogs

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MN lawyer about this?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

This just happen all last night... i dont know where to turn

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I know he is a drug user because i found a small bag of what i have been told is meth in the closet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

No, that is not correct. This person does not have the same legal rights as a tenant after staying at your home for a single night.

Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

If this person was allowed to stay at your home for one night and you would like them to leave, then they must do so.

If they refuse to, they have now become a trespasser and can be legally arrested for trespassing.

You can, and should, contact your local police and request their assistance in having this person removed.

Be sure to have proof of ownership of your residence ready, and you should also have your roommate present as another witness to attest to the fact that this individual has only been on the property for one night, is supposed to be an overnight guest, and now refuses to leave.

You can also let the police know about the drugs you found and your suspicion that this person may be under the influence of heavy narcotics.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!