Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My daughter rented a room from someone and was require to…

My daughter rented a...

My daughter rented a room from someone and was require to pay first and last month rent on a written agreement of a 6 month rental in Oregon. They agreed to set up a payment arrangment of $75 per month to cover a security deposit of 450.00. She has been there or a month and 3 weeks and o the 5th of March was given a written notice of eviction for non payment of the security payment of $75 that was agreed to the week prior. No written notice to pay was provied, just an eviction notice after the rent was paid on the first of March, stating she needed to be out by the 5th of April no later than the 8th. Does she have to right to expect that last month rent that had already been paid at first plus already paying rent on the first of the second month? Note the $75 still has not been paid. Reason for eviction was failure to pay the security payment and damage from her cat that had an accident in the house that was cleaned and a plant that the cat chewed on and money was provided for the plant.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues besided that cat had actually two accidents. Both were addressed and cleaned. Lease agreement was 6 months as a sublease for the one room. She is not on the home lease.

3/27/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Has she paid rent in full for March already?

.

Why hasn't she paid the $75 as agreed towards the deposit?

.

Is there something in the written lease that says it is a violation of the lease if the cat goes inside or damages something?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Here is my daughters response -Yes I paid rent in full for March already and I did not pay the 75 for February yet because we had talked and agreed that I would pay it the next time I got paid, witch was the day after she gave me the notice. And no, it was not written in the agreement as a violation if the cat went inside. It was cleaned up immediately with no permanent damage.

Ok then if the last months rent was paid, then April has already been paid and she wouldn't owe anything more if the landlord got a judgment against her for eviction..

.

But if she fights it, in court and refuses to vacate, then I don't see the landlord as being able to evict over the cat issue if there was no damage and the plant was paid for. So the only thing that the landlord could potentially call a breach is the $75 payment, and if they amended that agreement, then if she tenders it after her next paycheck, she isn't in violation there either..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
even though she is requesting she be out by April 5, she is either paid up through the end of April or the rent already can be requested to be reimbursed after the $75 is paid?

Correct. That is if she wants to voluntarily move out and not fight them to force them to have to file a formal court eviction action and dispute that there was any actual breach.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you for the help.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney