Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The building I live has been brought by another. The unit I…

The building I live...

The building I live has been brought by another. The unit I live is I was renting through a 3rd party that I had just signed a 12month lease in 2017. I never signed a lease with the new building owners. I would like to move out in the Month April, but can not financial move until April 16th. The rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. What is the best way to approach the new owners and request a move out date of the 16th instead of the day of the 5 day notice. This is my first time in an eviction situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Chicago, IL

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

12month just signed 12/17 with unit owner. not the building owner. no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to not move out of this building until the 16th. The rent is $1,400 a month. I would like to use this month to re locate. I'm willing to pay a prorated amount for April, but not the whole month.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you for any help and/or advice you can provide.

3/27/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

It is kind of unlikely that the new owner is going to agree to release you from the lease contract. When a rented building changes owners, the new owner just becomes the landlord. So your lease is still legally binding..

.

With that said, it doesn't hurt to ask them, but if you don't pay the full April rent, they will give you a 5 day notice to pay or vacate.

.

However, they can't just throw you out after the 5 days is up.. They would have to file a formal eviction case in court to get a judgment and a writ to have the sheriff force you to leave.. That will take around a month after it is filed.. So if you moved out on the 16th, they may just dismiss any eviction case if you left the place clean and returned the keys..

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney