Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My brother, who is somewhat mentally disabled and lives only…

My brother, who is...

My brother, who is somewhat mentally disabled and lives only on social security disability, had lived (same place) in an independent/assisted living facility for 6 years. Last year they decided to make it a rental and had had him sign a lease for a year ending 3/2018. They have since secretly, not telling what residents are left, that they have been bought out and made an independent/living facility again charging $2200 a month and have not given them any notice. I called and was told the residents would get the notice last week. It still has not been delivered. The old residents (brother) have to leave. My question is should I pay April’s rent (they say I should) void after 3/31 and what legal information could I threaten these people with? They have always been shady. I appreciate any help you could give me for dealing with these people and trying to help my brother. Thank you so much

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Nothing has been done. I just happened to call them the week before last and they still have not let the residents know. My brother’s lease is up 3/31.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

It was called Nova Palms, but they changed the name to OceansideSenior Living in Hollywood Fl.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s about it because I don’t know what to do and I am his guarantor.

3/27/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about this situation.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you clarify?

Is your brother staying through month of April?

How much is his rent now?

Thank you for your cooperation.

He will have to but should I pay them the rent since there is no lease now and I will have to find him another place and use that rent money. His rent now is $850 and he only gets $969 soc sec disability
I try to help him out. Is there a law I can quote these people. I really Don't think they should be paid.

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I am working with multiple customers on the site and I respond to posts in order that they are received. If you have not heard from me it does not mean that I have ignored your post. It just means that I am currently working with another customer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your Questions:

Response 1: No, you do not have to because they were required to give him 60-day written notice of the change so that he can decide whether to stay or not. Going from $850.00 a month to $2,200.00/month is quite outrageous and obviously not affordable for someone only collecting $969.00/month from Social Security.

I try to help him out. Is there a law I can quote these people. I really Don't think they should be paid

Response 2: Yes, there is. You should cite Florida Statutes Chapter 83 Section 83.575, which requires a 60-day written notice for a yearly lease.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you so much for your help. It was greatly appreciated and so helpful to me as I wasn't sure what to do in this situation. Again thank you.

You are quite Welcome!

Have a wonderful day,