Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

What is the percentage of monthly increase in Rent? Now I…

Customer Question
What is the percentage...

What is the percentage of monthly increase in Rent? Now I pay $705 and they want to increase this monthly payment by $58.00 Total being $763.00. I thought it went by the Cost of Living index?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Spoke with Legal Aid and they said it is governed by the Uniform Renters & Landlords Tenant Act.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/26/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

If I can clarify: Did legal aid tell you whether there was a maximum in your state for rent?

No. However I am on Disability, Social Security limited income. Landlord is aware of this. They have Section 8 at the complex. I am not under this section. I pay solely.

I understand. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news; however, the law doesn't limit what they can increase the rent to unless you are on Section 8 or unless you are in a rent controlled area. Morally, the landlord should limit how much they increase the rent on a person who is on disability and social security income. But legally, there isn't any limit to what the landlord can do. I'm very sorry about that.

Have you considered other places that would be more affordable or keep their rates flat?

I have checked the Federal Office of Tenancy. The Rent increase for each state (except CA) is based on Consumer Price Index. they say at this time it is 2.5%?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I've ever heard of the Federal Office of Tenancy. Do you have a link to their page or any information that I can use so I can see what you're talking about?