Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My tenant has informed me in writing that she is moving out…

My tenant has informed...

My tenant has informed me in writing that she is moving out on April 30, 2018. This is for her to avoid paying April rent. She lived out her security last year this time when she thought that she would be moving. Her lease ends Sept 30, 2018. Is she obligated to pay the lease out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Lori
Lori, FL attorney
Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.
If the lease does not allow for any early termination, then the tenant is not allowed to terminate and move. The tenant is still obligated for the balance of the rent under the lease. I recommend a demand letter to the tenant making demand for the balance of rent due under the lease if the tenant breached the lease by moving out early.
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please be sure to accept my responses and post a positive 5-star rating.
Lori
Lori, FL attorney