Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm in a situation where i allowed a relative to live in a…

I'm in a situation...

I'm in a situation where i allowed a relative to live in a home where they should have been paying rent. They've been in the house for 3 years. i informed them in writing that they would need to pay rent beginning in January. They refused to sign a lease. I also informed them in writing that if they ever intended to move, they would need to provide 30 day written notice. They refused to pay January. Paid for the month of February, then purchased $200 worth of smoke detectors without by knowledge or consent and deducted it from March's rent. Now I find that they signed a lease effective today for another location. What are my financial recovery options. They should at lease pay me for January and April (?) There are additional complications with work they were to do in the house. The house is now a complete disaster. I would lose a significant amount of money if I tried to sell it today.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. nothing yet. i just found out today that they are really moving and i know the new location.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Garner

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is my nephew and his wife of one year. i gave them a very detailed letter in november and a follow up letter on feb 1 after my jan 31st visit to them.

3/26/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. From a legal standpoint if they were required to pay rent and failed to do so and remained, they would have to pay you what is owed. Moreover, they can not just deduct from the rent the cost of the smoke detectors and if they did you could recover that money as well. In addition, they would be responsible for any damage caused to the property so once they vacate you can do a move out inspection and make a demand for the money owed to repair and if they refuse, sue them as well.
I've taken pictures of the horrible cosmetic repairs they've done and also of things that are not complete. They have devalued the home. I also have the written documentation I hand delivered to them. Is this enough to provide in a civil court case.
it could be used as evidence to support your case and cause of action. You are also going to want to obtain the cost to fix these things and repairs so a demand can be made and you can show the judge the cost as well.
LandlordTenantAnswer