Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My roommate persuaded my landlord to collude with him to…

Customer Question
My roommate persuaded my...

My roommate persuaded my landlord to collude with him to fake an eviction when he didn't pay his rent and my landlord served us with an unlawful detainer to force me to move from my home of 6 years. 4 months later, the roommate is still living there and his girlfriend moved in. Can I sue them for relocation fees and the belongings I was forced to abandon?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Los Angeles CA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Month to month housing agreement. no issues other than roommate

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 3 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why did the landlord not just terminate the rental agreement? Just to be clear, you thought your roommate was not paying their portion of the rent and you needed to vacate?

Hi, I received an unlawful detainer notice because my roommate did not pay his half of the rent. The landlord was acting a little funny with me but seemed nice about it, we agreed I would return to the house to collect my personal belongings if I left in a hurry, so that I would not have any evictions on my record, since this would prevent me from renting elsewhere. The landlord colluded with the roommate into faking this eviction threat, because the roommate still lives in the house and his girlfriend moved in.
I abandoned many of my personal possessions there, and because I had to moved out of my home in only 2 weeks after living there for 6 years, the move cost me thousands of dollars.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is possible that you could sue him for the cost and damages of the move/relocation if there was fraud and misrepresentation. If the landlord wanted you to move, they need to properly terminate the tenancy and if there was no lease, that would mean giving the proper written notice to end it. If you were there for less than a year, it would have been a 30 day notice or 60, if more than a year. If they failed to do so and lied and tricked you and you were damaged by it, you could have a legal basis to sue them.