Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

This is a real estate sale-For Sale By Owner & Landlord

Hello. This is a...

Hello. This is a real estate sale-For Sale By Owner & Landlord Tenant Question

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

Tenants have been notified they must leave in 30 days so that owner can put the house up for sale.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Tenants say they are interested in buying the house. What do owners typically do in a situation like this

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Owner has already contact several real estate agents and has not yet selected one. Because tenants are already in the house, would not make sense to pay a commission or finders fee to an agent. How can owner find out procedure for selling and managing financing for purchase of owners house by landlord. Are banks usually contacted about this?

3/26/2018
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

If the tenant wishes to buy the property and can obtain the necessary financing, there is no reason for real estate brokers to be involved. The tenant can simply obtain a lawyer to write up a purchase agreement, which is subject to with the approval of by the seller, and the transaction can be closed as soon as the tenant obtains a mortgage commitment from a bank. The closing will most likely be done by a title insurance company. I wish you the best of luck.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.

Thank you Irwin Law.
1. Does the tenant have to pay for an appraisal to find out the market value of the house?
2. Will the tenant's bank take care of all of this?
3. What about title searching. Does the tenant pay for that too?

A. The bank that loans tenant the moneywill require an appraisal. That will be part of the mortgage loan costs that the tenant pays.

A. I am not sure what you mean by "all of this". What is 'this'?

A. Usually it is the seller who pays for a title insurance policy insuring the buyer's title.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney