Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My question pertains to a 3-day pay or quit form. To cut…

Customer Question
My question pertains to...

My question pertains to a 3-day pay or quit form. To cut straight to the point, I have a subtenant who is always late on his rent by almost a month and has now stopped paying rent , but before I issue a 3 days pay or quit I need to know if I can legally do that since I am not the owner of the property. I do have permission to sublease, but the landlord has stated that anything to do with my subtenant is between me and that person.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It's in Idaho.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There are other issues that warrant me wanting him out, but the big one is the rent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The terms are very simple, he pays $400 a month and I take care of all the bills and of course he needs to follow the rules in the lease.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes if you are the tenant and they are the subtenant you can legally move forward with a notice to quit and an eviction order, without the need for your landlord to be present.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!