Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am 84 years old. I live in section 8 apartment. The

I am 84 years...

I am 84 years old. I live in section 8 apartment. The landlord stops accepting section 8 vouchers and after 3 years is planning to raise apartment cost to the market price, which I can not afford. Can I be forced out of apartment?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

MA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None.

3/27/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, yes. Under the Section 8 Lease Addendum, the Landlord can refuse to renew your lease due to economic/financial reasons. However, the Landlord must give you reasonable time to vacate considering your age. Then, if you do not vacate at the expiration of the notice, the Landlord must file eviction action in Court in order to remove you from the premises. There is no self-remedy to eviction actions in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. So, the Landlord cannot change the locks, or shut off your utilities in order to force you out. The Landlord must use the Court system to accomplish the eviction. Thus, giving you more time to find another place to live.

Once the eviction Summons is served on you, you should seek the assistance of legal services organizations to file an answer to the eviction complaint. Click here to find legal services organizations in Massachusetts.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks you
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law