Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I’ve been living with someone for one year now. We have a…

I’ve been living with...

I’ve been living with someone for one year now. We have a verbal month-to-month lease. I pay $996 per month. Plus groceries and housecleaning and several other things. I’m not late or behind on rent. I’m very spectral haven’t damaged anything at all. I’ve been locked out all my clothes all of my things every single thing that I own I’m not able to access.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Fort Worth Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Fort Worth Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Verbal month-to-month lease

3/26/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Have you contacted the police or sheriff about them giving you an escort to the property to regain access?

.

Why has the landlord/roommate locked you out?

.

Do you not have a key, or has the person changed the locks?

.

.

thanks

Locks changed
I have not contacted police

Ok, from a purely legal perspective, if you haven't been legally evicted through the courts, then you have the right to gain entry back to your home by whatever means you can. So you would be fully within your rights to ask for a police escort to the property and if the landlord is not there, gain entry with a locksmith or some other means since you are a legal occupant in possessession of the property.

.

If the landlord is there and refused to allow you back in, then legally the police couldn't force them to do so since this is a civil matter. They could try to convince them, but if they refused, you are left with immediately filing suit against the landlord for an illegal eviction and suing them for up to $10,000 in small claims court.

.

Judges tend to be very harsh on landlords who illegally evict tenants and can ding them with some pretty high damages to set an example and deter future similar conduct..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
I have another question

Fire away...

I need a refund because the attorney that called isn’t a Texas Attorney
My questions aren’t completely answered yet

No worries... You can always request a refund for any phone charge if you are not satisfied with the service on the call..

.

You would just need to contact JustAnswer customer service and they can refund the call charge, no questions asked..

A female attorney called and said since she isn’t a Texas Attorney she would process a refund

Then the attorney should submit a request for you for a refund... But I would still follow up with JA to make sure you aren't charged for it...

.

This is the info I have for them:

.

If you need assistance navigating the system, or in understanding how this site operates, the Customer Support team is available to help you 24/7. Email***@******.*** In the US or Canada 1-***-***-**** Available 6am to 9pm PST or use this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help