Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a question about the required "notice period" to end…

I have a question...

I have a question about the required "notice period" to end my month to month tenant agreement in San Francisco.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We are now month-to-month, but my landlord had handwritten on the lease that we have a "60 day notice period, which begins at the start of the next rental period (not the day the notice is given until it's the start of the rental period".

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, is my notice period 30 days from the day I give notice, or do I need to abide by the handwritten paragraph in my tenancy agreement?

3/26/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

When the lease expired, the tenancy converts to a month to month tenancy under all the same terms and conditions of the original lease with the exception of the notice period. If the tenant has lived there over a year, the landlord has to give a written 60 day notice to terminate, but the tenant only has to give a 30 day notice. And the notice can be given at any time. See CA Civil Code 1946.

.

"" however, that as to tenancies from month to month either of the parties may terminate the same by giving at least 30 days’ written notice thereof at any time and the rent shall be due and payable to and including the date of termination.""

.

So the condition in the written lease for a 60 day would not be enforceable since it conflicts with state law on the topic once the fixed term lease has expired.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!Does this mean that I now only have a "30 day" notice period from the day I give written notice?What should I do if my landlord doesn't accept that the "60 day period from next rental period" isn't now valid?

Correct.

.

Print out a copy of the law I went over above and give it to him telling him that condition is in violation of CA state law and is therefore void.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Barrister!!If my landlord still pushes back, who would help me?I'm worried she may hold my security deposit back.Also, I am in a rent controlled building in San Francisco (if that helps)?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Attached is the 2nd relevant page, which says "the month-to-month tenancy is subject to all of the terms and conditions of this contract".Can you confirm that that is true, except for the notice period?I'm sorry to ask so many questions. My landlord is pointing at these paragraphs to say that I need a longer notice period.

You are very welcome..

.

And there is no way to proactively prevent the landlord from violating the law and improperly withholding your deposit. But you can tell them that if they do, you will sue them for 3X the security deposit as allowed under CA law.

.

Did you actually expect your landlord to tell you something that benefitted you and harmed their interests? The black letter law trumps an expired lease contract with regard to notice to terminate,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are so great -- thank you!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney