Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived here for 27 years. My landlord sent me a letter…

I have lived here...

I have lived here for 27 years. My landlord sent me a letter saying he is raising the rent which I am not complaining about. He has not done it in a while. He says in the letter that I didn't pay the security deposit when I moved in and in not asking for it now. He does have a last month of $525. I want to know if I am entitled to 27 years of interest on that $525. I am in MA btw. Also approx what percentage they pay on it and how it is calculated.

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok I will take the $10 answer I guess. Do you take Paypal?

Lawyer's Assistant: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.

Ok answer and I will tell you if I need more info.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

MA, that was in my question.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Tenancy at will and only wallpaper and a new rug and faucet in kitchen

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just the interest answer

3/25/2018
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

In Massachusetts, as a renter you are entitled to interest payments, paid on the annual anniversary of your tendering your last month rent. If your landlord fails to give you notice of the interests earned, the landlord will be liable in the amount of three times the amount of interests earned plus attorney fees and cost. G.L. c. 186, § 15B(2)(a); 940 C.M.R. § 3.17(4)(k)

.

At an interest rate of 5% if the landlord didn't put the last month's rent into an account, the total amount due over 27 years would be $1,960.06. So if you triple that interest alone, that would be $1,435.06 x 3 = $4,305.18 in interest

.

.

thanks

Ok tkanks. So I would only get that money if I took him to court, right?
Calling is an extra $59?

Correct.. on both questions... you have to sue him in small claims court for that money..

.

And yes, a phone call costs extra and won't change the answer at all...

I understand that the answer will not change and no I will stay here.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Does this page disappear. I don't want to lose any of that case law info you typed.
I will leave a 5 star

Nope, you can always access the question thread through your accoutn with JustAnswer..

.

But if you want to save it easily, I usually just copy and paste it into a Word document and save it..

barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Ok thanks and have a great night

You are very welcome.. Happy to help out when I can..

.

.

All the best to you and yours.