Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

If I have been in a rented apartment for 10 out of the 12…

Customer Question
If I have been...

If I have been in a rented apartment for 10 out of the 12 month lease, and I just found out that the rent should be 300 dollars less than what we are paying , is there a way to renegotiate the last two months and also is there a way to get the 3000 dollars we have overpaid in rent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois cook county Lakeview chicago 60657

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yeah I had to clean black mold in both bathrooms and they suck at making repairs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a college student living with two other college students.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Why were you overpaying?

Because we were in dire need of an apartment and our realtor was bad and we were just thankful to have gotten a house but it has been a nightmare since

Are you paying the rent at the amount stated in your written lease?

Yeah

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, if you are paying the rent stated in the lease then you are not overpaying. You are paying what was agreed in the lease.

The courts would not find an overpayment if the lease stated the amount you have been paying.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.