Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We have rented our condo for 8 years and have never been…

We have rented our...

We have rented our condo for 8 years and have never been late or a nuisance .

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Two weeks ago the owner decided to sell. Since then we have had numerous emails and text messages wanting to show the unit. Last Monday we went to a hotel for 5 days to let them show it. We weren't even back in our home for 24 hours and they want to show it again. It is becoming sobstressful we want to move. What about our rights to quiet peaceful enjoyment? Do we have any rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Kissimmee Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a clause in our lease to show it but it does not state how many times or how often.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you have a lease or rent month to month?

Thank you
A year lease that ends July 31,2018

Thank you. As a tenant, you do have a right to quiet enjoyment and the showings cannot disturb that. Yes, you do need to cooperate if they want to sell and allow them to show the condo BUT it has to be during normal hours and with advance notice. Seeing how you still reside there, they should schedule the showings one day or around the same time or even do an open house, so you are not having to leave, every day. If this is happening, you can ask if they would reduce your rent for now, as a result or allow you to provide them some dates and time, to just set these

We have given them an open house for an entire week already. Now they are wanting to show it on Saturday and Sundays which doesn't seem like normal hours. They have also basically threatened us that's it's in the lease when we are complying completely.

Yes, the lease may allow it but there also is a balance with your right to quiet enjoyment. Eve though you gave them a week, the condo is listed and people may want to see it, as new buyers come on the market all the time. However, you do not need to leave every weekend and can object to the show both days and suggest one day for a time frame.

Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LandlordTenantAnswer