Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord and I are in a dispute because they have failed…

Customer Question
My landlord and I are...
My landlord and I are in a dispute because they have failed for months to address repairs including a back door that won’t lock and molding carpets. I have withheld rent and now they’ve served eviction papers to the court. My court date is next week. Now they refuse to give me access to my work order history. The property was managed by another company for my first 5 months here and they claim they don’t have records of my complaints prior to that even though they owned the property. Is this legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/24/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

Unfortunately there is no duty to disclose any information to a party unless there is a contractual obligation to do so, or other basis for the legal obligation.

However, during the lawsuit, there is a process called "discovery" whereby the party can request documents from the other party, and even from a third party (ie prior company).

This can help establish the work order history;

meanwhile it is also possible to attest to the work order history by listing dates and times, along with services rendered, to the best of one's recollection, via affidavit, along with a statement that the other party will not release that information.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, attorney