Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I recently looked at a home to rent.. the owner asked me…

Hi. I recently looked...

Hi. I recently looked at a home to rent.. the owner asked me verbally for a 1000 "Holding" deposit and she would apply it to my 1700 rent when iive in... which I gave her. Then a week later I received the lease via email which I signed, but she also listed that "if you have any pets you need to have that conversation w me prior to moving in" I called her and told her I have a cat.. she said, no, no cats allowed and for me to "let her know what my plans are gonna be cuz it will take her another month to find a renter" I said, well, clearly it's not going to work out, so you can give me back my 1000 holding deposit and find someone else. She said, no, I'm not giving it back to you, you broke the lease and you owe me an additional 700 for rent. I said, I didn't even move in, why would I need to pay you an additional 700 and why won't you return my $1000 of yours not "Holding" anything for me. Uggggg the b...h won't give me my money back as he there was nothing in the lease about any "holding deposit" it was all verbal

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

K

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Santa Cruz, California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. And plus, I didn't move in because she said I could not move in with my cat

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She told me that if I didn't give her an additional 700 for my rent that she will take me to small claims court. Jeez I don't even move in.. lady is a f'ing ahole

3/23/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Did you give the signed lease to the landlord?

Did it contain any provision for early cancellation?

I did give her the signed lease.. but also "had the pet conversation w her (per the lease agreement) prior to any plans on moving in. There were no provisions about a "holding deposit" in the lease. She is the one that told me no, no you can't be here w a cat... and is withholding my money and demanding I pay her rent. I think she is mentally ill

Does the lease have any provision forbidding the cat?

Loren, Lawyer
No... And when we 1st met in person she only asked me if I had a dog
Phone call session started
Thank you for your expert advise on the phone, Loren... I appreciated it very much!!!
Sky