Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

This concerns Texas apartment law: My daughter moved into an…

This concerns Texas apartment law:My...
This concerns Texas apartment law:My daughter moved into an apt. with 2 guys. They all signed the lease and my daughter was responsible for 38% of the rent.
My daughter had lived a whole year successfully with one of the guys but after 1 year the guy wanted to get a bigger place that would also accommodate his boyfriend.So 3 weeks ago they moved into a new place and they started verbally chastising and harassing my daughter to the point that she couldn't take it anymore. She felt emotionally, psychologically and verbally abused and harassed. She called me last sunday to drive down to Austin from Dallas to help her move out while her roommates were gone.She was staying in a hotel, I picked her up, rented a truck and moved her stuff out. From Sunday till Weds. we stayed in a hotel.We went to the apt complex to tell them why she moved out. They were very sympathetic and said they only way she could be removed from the lease is if they signed an addendum or if she filed a police report of harassment.They guys are professionals and will not want an eviction or a collection issue on their record. They said they will not sign the addendum and plan on suing her. They told the apt. complex they will be next month's rent. They also had inquired about a 1 bedroom prior to my daughter moving out.When they came back into town and found out my daughter had left they were furious. They called her at work and starting screaming and cursing which was heard by my daughter and her co-workers through the speaker on the phone.1) she would not have moved out if it wasn't unbearable. They in essence forced her to move
2) she's now having to pay $200 more a month for rent in a new place
3) She was harassed and abusedThey threatened to sue. So.......The question is this:If she files a police report, the apt. complex, based on Texas Statutes, will take her off the lease. IF, she files the report, and she is off the lease, will the guys still have grounds to sue her?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney
If removed by law there is no basis for them to sue her.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
should she wait to see if they file, or should she file a police report prior to there filing?
Also, would they be arrested or would it just be investigated by the police?
What is the best strategy? Wait or file?
I would wait and let police investigate. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
in order for the police to investigate, she needs to file the report on them. Otherwise they will not investigate. Will they be arrested?
Right and if there is evidence of criminal conduct they will be arrested. Alternatively legal counsel can warn them first. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Attorney
There is no evidence of criminal conduct. Just verbal harassment. So no arrest is warranted? Just investigation?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started