Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My daughter is evicting me for no reason, I am handicapped…

Customer Question
My daughter is evicting me...
My daughter is evicting me for no reason, I am handicapped a69 years old, I need more time to move.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Has your daughter issued you a formal court-ordered eviction notice?

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

If not, you may not need to move out just yet, and may be able to obtain some additional time to secure a new residence.

I'll wait to hear back from you, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has, I found a get out notice giving me 7 days to vacate, I tried to tell the judge I needed just another week, he said I have had plenty of time.
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear that, so you did attend an eviction hearing and you did have an opportunity to speak with the judge about delaying the eviction or giving you and extra 60-90 days?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he refused to hear my request.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I won't have the money to pay movers until my social security money comes APril2-3 Can she keep all my belongings?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately if the judge denied your request for additional time, and granted the eviction order with an earlier move out date, there's not really much that can be done.

Have you spoken with your daughter about holding your items in care until early April?

Landlord/tenant laws vary by state, but generally speaking she cannot just dispose of your belongings, she does have to afford you a reasonable opportunity to come collect them.

Since this is your daughter in this specific instance, hopefully she will be a bit understanding about giving you the extra time to come pick up your items.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones