Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We have been living in our apartment almost 10 years-the…

We have been living...

We have been living in our apartment almost 10 years-the property had been sold-the new owners have given us until April 30-to vacate the apartment-we live in Wauwatosa Wisconsin-they plan on remodeling the units-the owner has been daily asking us where, when, have we paid a deposit and so on-is this okay from them to do this when they have already sent us the termination letter stating the April 30th date-

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Wauwatosa Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It was month to month-previous owner before it was sold didn't make any repairs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/22/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. Can you clarify what they want to know? Are they talking about where you are moving to?

they are asking when are we moving,where are we moving,and if we have paid security deposit yet-
Rather text

Thank you. There is nothing wrong with telling them when you are vacating, as you have a right to stay until the notice term ends. As far as where you are moving to, it is none of their business nor it is their concern about anything related to the new rental. The only thing you should share is if you are staying until the end of the notice they gave. The rest is none of their business UNLESS they have your security deposit and you need to provide them with a forwarding address to send it, which would reveal where you are moving to.

They ask us daily and say I know we have given you until April 30th but we would like to have you move out sooner

That is at your discretion and if they want you out sooner, you can see if they will do a keys for cash type of deal and give you money to help with the move. You can ask them when they want you out and ask for X amount to be out by then.

They have also contacted relatives to see if they would help with security deposit to move faster-they received the phone numbers off of our original lease form from previous owners

They should not be contacting them and trying to see if you have the deposit to put down to move quicker BUT if you know that is a concern, you should ask them to pay it for you and you will move before the deadline.

Our worry is since we have been here for almost 10 years and the prior landlord didn’t make any repairs to anything that they will take it out of our security deposit that we gave to the past landlord

They would need evidence to show and support what the condition was like ahead of time. They can NOT deduct for normal wear and tear and if they are fixing these up, they may not care.

LandlordTenantAnswer
Thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We have all text and emails that the new owners have sent us-one of the texts states about using security deposit for repairs

If they make a wrongful deduction, you could dispute it and if this can not be settled, sue them. The burden would be on them to show that these were caused by you and not present prior to.

Should we take pictures when we leave or now or both

Yes, of course. You want to document the condition when you move out and can also ask that they do a move out inspection with you, ahead of time, so you can fix anything that may be an issue.

Actually they will be remodeling every room
We will take pictures

Yes, you need to.

10 years of wear and tear with no prior repairs from old landlord which I think they would have noticed when they purchased the property

Yes which is why if they try and make deductions, you can dispute it and sue, if they were unlawful and the current condition is through no cause of your own.

Thank you-you’ve been extremely helpful
feel less stressed

My pleasure.