Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a question regarding a lease. My wife and I have a…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding a lease. My wife and I have a signed lease to rent a house until March 30th 2019. The house is being sold by the owner in Texas and we have been presented with a new lease agreement that includes a rent increase and other items not on the one we signed. Are the new owners required to abide by the existing lease agreement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Cincinnati, Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The new lease is for 13 months until April 30th 2019 with a monthly extension provision. They have new requirements for pets that differe from what we have signed and also an icrease in the rent by $100.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. This is a common scam that many new owners of property tend to run. If you have a lease agreement with a prior owners, then that lease agreement will survive the change in ownership. Only in some circumstances, like foreclosure, may the OH rules differ; however, if it was a sale and the new owner knew or should have known of your presence and the existence of the lease, then the lease terms are going to be what plays a part. You do not have to agree to new lease terms until March 30th, 2019. At that point, the lease terms can change because it's a new agreement, but your old agreement cannot be changed under the law.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?