Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in an apartment complex. My…

Hello! I live in...

Hello! I live in a 2 bedroom apartment in an apartment complex. My roommates are a couple & I have been noticing emotional abuse between them, however, as of last Sunday, things apparently got physical. I was not a `witness, however, I was there to comfort the female companion (who happens to be one of my best friends)... it is getting to the point, that although my own safety does not appear to be in danger, that my apartment is no longer a safe place for me. I feel completely on edge and my girl friend is not willing to see through what is happening. I do not judge her but I am at the point where I must make it known that I support her, but must take care of myself....

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? Have any charges been officially filed?

My lease isn’t up until august, but I am thinking about moving into a one bedroom within my building. I just want to know if I can terminate a lease and move to another unit no charges have been filed california

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues related to maintenance or upkeep. i can’t find anything specifically dealing with cohabitants or domestic disputes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it. Thank you so much!!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Has anyone called the police?

Good morning and thank you for your service!No, and it is being presented as if it is an “isolated incident.” Again, I didn’t see anything. So, although I am most definitely being vigilant in ensuring my roommates safety, I also want to know the legal action of my own safety and rights when it comes to terminating a lease. Or moving to another unit within the building
38; yes, although I didn’t see anything, this does not discredit the situation at all. I know that one time offenses usually happen again.. It has apparently happened in the past as well. I had not known about that.

Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond.

No problem at all, I very much appreciate your help!

In a situation like this, you would need to speak with the management and see if they would allow you to relocate. I say this because they have no legal obligation to do so and the domestic violence laws and tenancies, apply to the victim. If you did not witness it and the police were not called and she spoke with you about it, I do not believe it would give you a legal right to vacate, if you have a signed lease agreement. They would need to agree to assume the rental agreement solely in their names or you would need to be released. While I certainly know and understand everything which you shared, this would first need to be something that is documented in a police report and once that happens, you could try and take it to the management and ask to be removed from the situation, if the victim refuses to take action and your safety is at risk. Moreover, they may argue that you voluntarily decided to live with them and they are not able to get involved with issues involving roommates.

Okay thank you so much! This is kind of all that I expected to hear unfortunately! But, totally makes sense. I will take things to management and go from there. Hopefully I can find some way of getting off the lease, and if not, somehow supplementing more income some how.Thanks so much for your help.Best regards.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LandlordTenantAnswer